Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Journal #1

I got an assignment at school that said that I had to choose between three different topics and then write about my thoughts around that topic. I could choose between the Olympic Games, elite athletes and the environment. My choice was obvious. Without a second thought I chose the topic about the environment.
I have always had a thing for questions considering our nature and environmental issues and when I got this chance, I felt that I wanted to share with other people what I thought about people today and our behavior nowadays.
Since I got this task in school I didn’t have much of a choice but do it, but I really felt like I wanted to do this. I really wanted to write my thoughts down and also be able to remind myself sometimes of what difference a single person actually can do. And now when I have got my ponderings on a piece of paper it’s easy to just look it up sometimes and know that if I make a change today, it’s not too late.
I wrote my essay in a critical way, because I think that we have a lot to be critical about when it comes to the environment and how we treat the thing that is the most valuable we have. I wanted and still want all the people around me to start acting and try their hardest to make a difference. And I think that writing the essay in a critical way and really show all the people what we’ve done is making everybody perfectly aware of what’s really going on.
I wrote this essay to my teacher and my classmates. I wanted them to see the things that I saw. I wanted them to feel and know that there are things going on around us that in our future will be unstoppable but today still can be fixed. I wanted them to feel that they are a part of the all the bad things that is happening around us every second, every minute. And I wanted them to feel that they still can do things change this.
I had a lot of different purposes with writing this essay. I wanted to educate, inform and call people to action. And I also wanted to chock them. I wanted to make them think and I wanted to make them feel. I wanted them to stop being selfish.
I know this is a very important topic and a huge problem. And this problem matters to all the people living today and all the people living tomorrow. And this problem will affect us all. So I think that it’s never a bad time to talk about these things and try to solve them.
It’s always different when you have to think about who is going to listen or read the things you that you have on your mind. But at the same time I think that if you find something very important, you care about it a lot, you show other people that it really matters to you and you are being one hundred percent devoted to the topic I think that you can make everything interesting. But off course it’s harder if you have to take into consideration that everybody is different and doesn’t enjoy the same things that you do. Thinking about writing as responding to a rhetorical situation makes you more finite. But I think that you can hold on to your thoughts but still make it interesting if you’re just considering who the audience is.

1 comment:

dr.mason said...

I think your post shows how, once you find a topic you're invested in, much of your choices are already made for you. As you state, there really wasn't much of a choice to be made between the three possible topics (perhaps especially because the first two seem quite similar).

It's also interesting how you have a very clear view of how you wanted your audience to feel. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the content of our writing, we forget that information isn't effective without passion.